Monday, April 17, 2017

DATING AFTER 40 - I'M NOT IN NEED OF SAVING


MARRIAGE IS NOT MY CUP OF TEA

When I was a young woman the mandate for dating is that you should date for the soul purpose of finding a suitable partner for marriage. A Wikipedia article describes traditional dating as: a stage of romantic or sexual relationships in humans whereby two or more people meet socially, possibly as 
friends or with the aim of each assessing the other's suitability as a prospective partner in a more committed intimate relationship or marriage. It can be a form of courtship that consists of social activities done by the couple. To that extent, the socially accepted reason for dating is to find a partner to procreate and carry on the tasks society deems the norm.

New research indicates that marriage is primarily beneficial to men. Women work harder make less money and are subject to abuse and philandering on a large scale. Marriage is not really a good goal for a woman who decides to date especially after she turns 40. After 40 most of the child rearing responsibilities are gone. Does these mean women should go out to pasture since they don’t have such demanding parental responsibilities?  What if you decided against children? Is marriage a requirement if you don’t follow a traditional path?

What about sex? Since dating is defined by society as a custom with the ultimate goal of being coupled and being coupled is not in a woman’s best interest according to research are you then supposed to be sent to the corner and be denied of sexual expression?  I’ve decided hell no for myself.

For me dating takes a significant shift after 40. My priorities and expectations have changed. Now that my children are adults I don’t need a co-pilot. I am pretty self-sufficient. I don’t need a man for hunting. I want one for companionship because the social activities don’t just vanish because you don’t have a partner. Of course, you can do solo things. I’m enjoying many solo activities!  However; human nature dictates that we are social creatures. When we become lonely it impacts our health and outlook on life.

Much of the literature I’ve come across pigeon holds women into waiting to be chosen. In my opinion this practice leads to a real thirst trap for women. We are expected to rock back and forth waiting like shelter dogs for someone to adopt us. No wonder women take so much abuse and crap!  You wait and wait to enjoy social activities designed for two and when someone finally lands you don’t want to let go!

My choice is not to sit this stage of life out waiting. I’m going to take this battle to the streets. Why does marriage have to be the ultimate goal?  Why can’t the goal be quality companionship and mutual benefit? For me owning and being owned by another has been a futile and non-productive cycle. I’m sure this is because of my poor choices however; the deed is done and I refuse to punish myself and deny myself the social activities and courtship of dating. Perhaps I will date until I die? Perhaps one of these dates will prove to be fruitful? I can’t see the future but, research shows that having companionship is beneficial to your health. I’m not going to live lonely because I haven’t been picked.

Perhaps I should sit on the sidelines like a wallflower while the others dance, but I’m not. I like to dance, I can dance by myself but it’s fun to dance with others also. That’s why this will be a journey. I don’t have any answers. I hope we can come up with solutions together!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Legal Stuff

This is a blog... many of the pictures are copied from other places and not my own work...
Any articles reproduced will receive full credit... I do not plagerize because I do not have to!